Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Leaving on a Jet Plane

Someone once told me that I am ‘clever’ and it was one of the best compliments I’ve ever received in my lifetime.

Some of the other best compliments:

“You are the best pusher I’ve ever seen, Erin. AND you didn’t poop.”

“Your belly skin doesn’t hang down all that much.”

“When she makes that weird scrunched up face, she really looks like you.”

“Your hair used to be so thick and luxurious….at least it will be easier to handle now.”


Because I'm obviously incredibly self-involved I often daydream about what my children will be like when they're grown.

Will Rose always take everything so much to heart? Will she ever learn to chill out a little bit and stop overthinking absolutely everything? Will she teach impoverished gypsy children in Romania? Will she travel the world as a doctor, treating people who otherwise would suffer and perish?

Will Olivia become more responsible as an adult? Will she be one of those people who's parents are always fixing their messes? Or will she be a famous actress/pro-human activist and use her obvious unabashed outgoing nature for good?

Will Maxine blow us all away? Will she be nothing like she is now? Will she stop throwing pieces of toilet paper on the floor for me to pick up and gag the whole time I'm cleaning up after her? Will she be an intense brooding writer, living with her painter boyfriend in a totally awesome and not at all cliche loft in Soho?

Will Elijah be an incredibly rich and talented pro-skater? Will he be the drummer for some awesome indie band? Will he always be so very GIANT?

Or will they all live with us till they're in their 40's and we move out just to get away from them?

Hmmm...that actually seems like a viable option. Jeremiah and I will act like those enabling parents and tell them all they can stay with us as long as they want. Then when they're all nice and cozy we'll take off and travel the world without them.

We'll make love in Crete on a small creaky rowboat off the Isle of Pharos.
We'll visit the coast of Ireland and walk for hours along craggy beaches and cliffs.
We'll sleep side by side enveloped in tiny cot in a run down motel beside the TGV station in Echternach, Luxembourg.

We'll miss them, I'm sure. But we won't ever ever come home.

12 comments:

Mwa said...

I love compliments like that. They always make my day.

Anonymous said...

Those are the compliments that mean the most! Love them.

Ms. Moon said...

Mr. Moon and I dreamed of moving to Mexico or Costa Rica. But then...the first grandchild was born and I realized we will never, ever be able to leave. Ever.
Because we won't want to. Unless we do and then we will.

Alyson said...

Very cute...and a fabulous list of traveling possibilities.

However, if the person that called you "clever" called you this because you were having a baby...eh.

Everyone kept telling me "you did such a good job" and "well done". And I was thinking, "What the hell is your problem?" and a lot of other things I won't repeat on your lovely blog.

BUT you ARE clever...all on your own.

Logical Libby said...

I want to move to New Zealand and buy a hotel by the ocean...

Steam Me Up, Kid said...

Aw, this was really sweet. Did you mean it to be so sweet? Wow.

Also, you are very clever, but you are also really smart. It comes through very clearly. There's a difference between the two, in my opinion.

Miss Yvonne said...

Don't worry about what your kids will be like as adults. Because for sure they'll all be asking to borrow money and screwing up their lives and you'll have plenty of time in the future to worry about them.

I should totally be a motivational speaker.

Samantha said...

How very poetic. And metaphysical. Ireland sounds nice.

Claudya Martinez said...

Have fun makin' love in Crete! Send a postcard, if they still make postcards in 40 years.

Anonymous said...

I had to think hard about the pusher thing, because my first thought was drugs, but then I figured out and you just convinced me never to have kids. What if I'm a pooper?! Agg!

kara said...

b and i were watching your shirt video yesterday and i was whining about the unfairness of not having hair like yours. you'll have to wear a scarf in ireland, though...an exposed neck is the worst thing ever on a windy cliff.

Alicia D said...

LMAO! Okay, this post proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that your first and best compliment (being clever) was based in truth!

and, after reading the notes from your dad, i can see where you get your cleverness and writing talent.

LOVED this post :)!!