Friday, February 11, 2011

Writing Exercise

She sits upright, short legs stretched to the maximum length in order to reach the ratty ottoman, a tattered remnant of a dead grandfather. Next to her, perched precariously on the arm of the small beige couch, the skeleton of a pear lies in the center of a pearl colored tea plate, picked clean.

She opens her mouth to complain about the faint ache in her neck, closes her mouth with a decisive chomp and decides to keep her whining to herself. This ailment is simply remedied, no need to bother others with her petty infirmities.

She regrets sitting down to participate in this writing exercise, she regrets staying up till 2 a.m. the night before reading a totally random Val McDermid novel, she regrets drinking four cups of coffee this morning in order to remedy the late night random novel reading session.

One arm reaches up toward the ceiling, the second one follows it as she pulls herself out of her slumping position on the front room couch. She glances behind her with a slight sore turn of the neck and notices her work area is cluttered and messy.

"I wouldn't let it get like this if my neck didn't hurt so bad!" The recipient of this comment laughs and rolls his eyes.

L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs!

The writing exercise was to write a short vignette (short, impressionistic scenes that focus on one moment or give a particular insight into a character, idea, or setting). Want to play along? If you write something comment me the link and I will add them to this post.

Mollie, who is lovely and also Ok in the UK has posted her vignette. Thanks for writing with me, Mollie!

Aimee at Pleasantly Demented, who found me through Mollie, also gave this a whirl and did a great job.

5 comments:

Elly Lou said...

That made MY neck hurt. And almost made me want to eat a pear. I hate pears.

OKinUK said...

http://mollieisokinuk.blogspot.com/2011/02/writing-exercise.html

What do you think? I can't make this up...it really happened.

Aimee said...

http://www.pleasantlydemented.com/2011/02/man-in-box.html

I have to thank Mollie for cluing me in on this. I should have been working, but I wrote instead. I get paid for working, not for writing. I write instead. Go figure.

Logical Libby said...

I really wanted to stretch after reading that. Good job!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.