Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Writer's Block

I've been experiencing writer's block since I could write. It's kind of depressing, and the idea that I can rarely ever write more than 10 pages into a story hangs heavy on my mind. I've started and stopped the same story more than a hundred times and I have no idea why.

If you asked me to detail you the story from start to finish, I certainly could. And you would probably love it and ask me the inevitable question: 'Why don't you write this down?'. Oh! If you only knew how many times I've tried!

At this point in my life I've narrowed the general problem stated above into three different categories:
1) I'm horribly lazy and will never finish anything I've ever started. (ouch)
2) I'm not the writer I've always wanted to be, but maybe I'm just a plain old story teller. Maybe my kids will benefit from my imagination. (okay, not so bad)
3) I have a problem. Writer's Block.

Between Rose and Olivia I wrote quite a few pages of a horror story I loved to think about. I put alot of time and effort into it, and enjoyed writing it very much. I never let anyone read it, and stopped writing it about 30 pages in. I saved it on a disk and that was that. Never even looked at it again.

Recently I started writing a story about grief, and Jeremiah and I went over the opening of the story in detail. As soon as we were done discussing and editing it, I put it in a cabinet and never looked at it again.

Now I'm going to go upstairs to clean Rose's room and probably think of some other section of some other story that I'll never successfully put to paper and I'll never share with anyone. Depressing, eh?

1 comment:

Lizzie Lou said...

I definetly know how you feel. I have the same problem! All of the time. I have been writing the same two novels since I was like seventeen. Tons of fun! Good luck with that and if you ever figure out a way to fix it, let me know! P.s. I lock your blog name!